Countless health benefits of super green powders
Super green powders are nutritional supplements made from a high concentrated combination of green vegetables and algae such as spinach, wheatgrass, kale, seaweed & chlorella.
A major reason for the popularity of green powders is that it is so convenient and easy to get a high dose of green nutrition.....simply spoon, stir and drink.
More and more retailers are selling super green powders. Hollywood celebrities including Gwyneth Paltrow and Christy Turlington are swearing by super green drinks in their daily regime.
What is it that makes super green powder stand out?
- Almost every super green powder contains spinach which has potent anti-oxidants that help in reducing the risks associated with stress to the brain and blood vessels. Spinach also contains peptides that have anti-hyper intensive properties, which reduce high blood pressure related problems like strokes.
- Regular consumption of super green powder can reduce the chances of aggressive prostate cancer. Super greens have also been shown to aid in healing tissues according to Donald Yance in his book, Herbal Medicine, Healing and Cancer.
- In her book, Greens Glorious Greens, Johnna Albi says that super greens are also an excellent source of fibre, which is essential for proper bowel movement and to keep the colon healthy.
- Some super green powders contain kale. Kale has good amounts of glucosinolates, nitrogen-rich compounds and sulfur-rich compounds.
- Glucosinolates present in greens produce diindolymethane (DIM) and sulforaphane (SFN) once digested and metabolised. In a pilot study conducted in 2004, it was found that DIM protected women against the development of hormone-dependent cancer.
- Another study published in the Cancer Letters in 2008 found that SFN was a chemoprotective agent and might help in reducing the risk of developing cancer in humans.
- Super green powders have a high protein concentration, which is important for muscle growth and retention. In her book, Dashama’s 3 Stage Energy and Detox Diet Program, Dashama Gordon states that adding enzymes to the diet in the form of super greens will make your digestion more efficient and provide you with more energy.
- Greens have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant properties which may help in lung cancer prevention. They also help in detoxification and maintaining a neutral acid-base balance in the body.
- According to Deborah C. Marsh in her book, Raw-Riffic Food’s 101 Super Charged Juices, Shakes & Smoothies, super greens have amazing healing qualities due to the amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants they provide. Phytonutrients may also help to prevent ageing.
- Chlorella and Spirulina are two popular greens found in super powders. A 2009 Japanese study suggests that Chlorella could be effective in fighting major lifestyle diseases.
With the vast amount of super green powders on the market, the benefits may vary as every super green powder is not the same when it comes to ingredients, composition and quality. It is better to choose brands that are certified as organic as they strictly use organic products and safer production methods. Super Green powders are not a replacement for eating fruits and vegetables but are a healthy and beneficial addition to your diet.