Fats constitute one of the three most important micronutrients found in food. Fats are also referred to as triglycerides. Fats are actually esters obtained from three different chains of fatty acids and glycerol. Usually, the terms fat, oil and lipid are used interchangeably. However, there are certain differences. Oils are unsaturated fats and remain as liquids under room temperature. Fats remain solid at room temperature. Lipid is considered to be the generic term. Fats can’t be dissolved in water .
How do fats help you?
1. While you might not know, the fact remains that human brain is primarily made from fat. A decrease in fat content in your food might deprive the brain of essential nutrients. The absolutely essential Vitamins A, D, E and K can only be absorbed through fat as these are not soluble in water. These vitamins are also extremely important to ensure the health of your brain .
2. Increasing the content of beneficial fat in your food would help your muscles to develop better. Fats helps in maintaining the hormonal balance and aids in recovery from intense exercising sessions. It can raise the level of growth hormones in the body thereby preventing the breakdown of muscles .
3. Studies have revealed that the replacement of carbohydrates with fats could play an instrumental role in reducing the cholesterol levels in your blood. Monounsaturated fats can increase the level of HDL cholesterol. Conversely polyunsaturated fats increase good cholesterol while decreasing the bad cholesterol in the blood .
4. Human lungs are coated with saturated ft. Without the consumption of saturated fats, the health of the human lungs could suffer. In fact, there are studies underway in order to ascertain the linkage between the development of asthma and the lower consumption of saturated fat .
5. Fats are the primary constituents of cellular membranes and the human skin is composed of a huge number of cells. A deficiency in fats could lead to the skin becoming chapped and dry. This might result in infections entering the body through resultant pores in the skin. Thus, it is important to consume a sufficient quantity of fats to counter this phenomenon.
Everything said and done, some amount of caution need to be ensured so that the bad effects of fats don’t crop in. Determine the necessity if fat in your body and make a dietary chart according to that .
With an increased emphasis on health, the consumption of essential fats has attained increased contemporary importance. Essential fats or essential fatty acids are nothing but Omega-3 fatty acids, also known as ω-3 fatty acids or n-3 fatty acids and Omega-6 fatty acids, also referred to as ω-6 fatty acids or n-6 fatty acids.
These essential fats are fats that are beneficial to the body. As the body can’t manufacture these fats, it is essential to consume the same through dietary intakes. These fats are immensely important for ensuring better health and remain an important ingredient for normal cellular functions.
How do essential fats help you?
1. The consumption of Omega-3 might play a significant role in reducing your depression levels just in case you are fighting with mental stress. It has been seen that people who eat a lot of fish oils are less depressed than people who don’t .
2. Multiple studies have shown that a diet endowed with a lot of essential fats helps in reducing the chances of getting heart diseases. The American Heart Association recommends adults to ingest at least a couple of servings of fatty fish every week. Other studies have found a relationship between the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids and the reduction in coronary syndromes .
3. Vitamins A, D & E are absolutely essential for the normal functioning of the body. These vitamins could only be consumed with the active help of fats as these are only soluble in fats .
4. A deficiency in essential fats causes a lot of skin disorders such as eczema. The fats help in healing itchy, dry and inflamed skin and fight the reduction of moisture content. A lot of studies have found out that the essential fats have significantly pronounced beneficial effects on the treatment of skin disorders.
5. Studies have also found out that Omega-3 fatty acids might help in combating dementia and Alzheimer’s disease as well. The compound has been found to have beneficial effects on the slow reduction in memory subject to an advancing age. However, the theory might need some further validations.
6. Some studies have also found that the essential fats might prevent the development of prostate cancer .
All in all, essential fats are considered to be absolutely essential ingredients of any healthy and nutritious diet and are very important for the normal functioning of the body.