PROTEIN FOODS & SNACKS
Protein is one of the most essential macronutrients required in the body. During the younger years, it is responsible for your growth and as you grow older, it supports many important structures and processes in your body.
Simply put, protein bars are nutritional supplements that provide protein and other nutrients to our body. It goes without saying that they are only supplements and cannot replace a proper diet.
However, if you are on the lookout for something to snack on while you go about your busy schedule, without adding any extra inches to your waist, you’re on the right page.
Read on to know why protein bars are the go-to snacks.
What exactly is a protein bar?
Protein bars are made by isolating the high-quality protein present in soy, eggs, milk etc. While this is about as much as we need in a protein bar, it doesn’t hit the market like that. Artificial flavors are added to make it appeal to every customers’ preferences.
If you’ve ever wondered why some bars work for you and some don’t, here’s the answer: the quality of the flavors and proteins and their compatibility with your body greatly influences its effect on you.
What’s the hype about?
1. Protein bars contain high quantities of amino acids which help you build and maintain muscle mass, synthesize immune and red blood cells, help repair wounds and damaged tissues and manufacture hormones and enzymes.
2. They contain healthy fats and carbohydrates which keeps your body energized and active throughout the day.
3. They are also full of essential vitamins and minerals. So if you’re not big on taking nutritional supplements, you know what to turn to.
4. They complement your fitness goals in every way. If you are a boxer, wanting to gain some muscle mass, protein bars can augment your regular meal plans by adding valuable nutrients.
5. If you are trying to lose weight, protein bars can provide you with all the protein you need without loading you up with calories. A study conducted by the American Dietetic Association found that protein bars were effective for weight loss when they were included as part of a well-rounded diet.
6. Many protein bars also come in sweet flavors like chocolate, peanut butter, fudge brownie and lemon meringue to appease your desert cravings sans the excess sugar.
Eating them after meals instead of ice-cream or any other dessert can reduce the spike in your blood sugar level.
How should it be taken?
Protein bars can be taken as a mid-day or evening snack to keep you full for a long time. Eating snack-size portions can also help reduce overeating during meals.
However, they must not be used as a replacement for proper meals as they do not give all the nutrients provided by fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Protein bars are also convenient as they do not have to be refrigerated. They come in tiny plastic wraps that can be easily carried in your bag, making them the best on-the-go snack.
In summary, just make sure that you select the right kind of protein bar that is based on your daily nutritional requirements.