SHAKERS & UTENSILS
What Is Whey Protein Concentrate?
Whey protein is the byproduct that cow's milk leaves behind during the cheese making process. Milk protein comes in two sources, whey and casein. Whey makes up 20 percent of the protein in milk and is the watery liquid that settles at the top of cottage cheese.
Whey is a complete protein, meaning it has all nine essential amino acids the human body needs but does not make and it's easy to digest. Although derived from milk, whey protein concentrate has low lactose content and may be used by some that have a lactose intolerance.
Known Benefits of Whey Protein Concentrate
Adding a whey protein concentrate to a diet can have a large range of benefits.
• Improves Athletic Performance - Whey protein improves athletic performance by increasing power output and decreasing recovery time caused by over-training.
• Weight Loss - Whey protein can help people loss body fat while maintaining lean muscle.
• Increase Muscle Mass - Whey protein concentrate gives muscles the nutrients they need to help them grown stronger and leaner.
• Lower Cholesterol - Supplementing with a whey protein concentrate can lower total cholesterol and LDL, the "bad" cholesterol, while increasing HDL, the "good" cholesterol, levels.
• Improve Immune System - Whey protein raises glutathione in the body, boosting the immune system with its antioxidant powers.
The daily allowance for whey protein averages between .8 and 1.8 grams/kg of body weight.
Natural Food Sources
Whey is naturally found in cow's milk. To make whey protein concentrate, the whey is removed from the milk, and then dehydrated into a powder form.
Reasons to Take
Consider taking whey protein concentrate if:
• You're looking to boost your immune system.
• You work out hard and are looking to shorten your recovery time.
• You have a slight lactose intolerance and are looking to drop some weight and build lean muscle mass.
Best Way to Take
The best time to take a whey protein concentrate is right after a workout. Because the muscles are fatigued, the nutrient boost is quickly absorbed. These nutrients help the muscles to recover and grow faster than without the added protein.
If taking more than once a day, also take whey before going to bed. The protein keeps the body fueled through the night. It can also be taken first thing in the morning, as the body is lacking essential nutrients from not eating for so long.
Goals It Achieves
Whey protein concentrate can help you:
• Lose body fat
• Gain lean muscle
• Increase strength
• Improve athletic performance
• Improve immune system
• Lower cholesterol
If you're looking to start a whey protein concentrate, browse the selection available through Filtur. We're sure there's one that meets your needs.