Avocado, scientifically known as Persea americana, is a plant found in Central America and Mexico; grouped with camphor, cinnamon and bay laurel in Lauraceae, a floral family of plants. In general, alligator peer or avocado signifies the fruit of the plant. The fruit is technically a berry that contains a single seed.
The fruits are valuable commercially and are largely grown in the Mediterranean and in regions with tropical climate across the world. The fruits usually have a green meaty body that might resemble an egg or a pear or a sphere. The fruits get ripened after they are harvested.
How does Avocado help you?
• Avocado contains a lot of Vitamin K, B Vitamins, Vitamin E , Vitamin C and potassium.
• The fruits are also endowed with carotenoids and phytosterols.
1. People usually suffer from the deficiency of potassium. The element plays an instrumental role in maintaining the electrochemical gradients in the cells of the body. The avocados contain a lot of potassium and thus help in reducing blood pressure along with preventing coronary syndromes, kidney failures and strokes.
2. Avocado contains a lot of fat and in fact it is one of the fattiest fruits around. However, most of the fat is monounsaturated and is in the form of oleic acid. This compound has been found to reduce inflammation and could be beneficial for cancer patients as well. Additionally, the oil is resistant to oxidation initiated by heat. Avocado oil is used for culinary purposes as well.
3. Avocados also contain a lot of fiber. Subject to the fact that fiber can’t be digested, it helps in reducing weight and decreasing the sudden upsurge in sugar levels. Here, it is important to make a distinction between insoluble and soluble fiber. Soluble fiber, present in avocado, is essential to feed the helpful bacteria present in the large intestine.
4. It is a fact that heart disease is the biggest contributor to death in the world. A lot of factors are responsible for enhancing the risk of heart diseases. These factors constitute triglycerides, cholesterol, inflammatory markers and the rise in blood pressure. The consumption of avocado has been found to exert a positive influence on these markers. Consequently, avocados could play a big role in eliminating the threat of heart diseases.
Avocados contain a lot of antioxidants including Zeaxanthin and Lutein. These nutrients are very essential for ensuring the health of human eyes . Avocados are a good source of many essential nutrients and should be consumed on a regular basis.