The hugely popular beetroot constitutes the taproot part of beet plants, generally referred to as the table beet, beet, garden beet or simply golden or red beet. These are usually the grown varieties of Beta vulgaris primarily cultivated in order to get their eatable taproots and leaves, also known as beet greens. Other than being a vegetable, beets are also utilized to color food items and to prepare various medicines. Beet is also used to prepare sugar. The rather pronounced purple taproots of beet are consumed roasted, raw or boiled. Beet is most commonly consumed as a salad ingredient .
How does beetroot help you?
• Beetroots contain dietary fiber, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C and a little fat.
• Beetroots are also endowed with iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and sodium.
• Beetroots are considered to possess rather a high dosage of dietary fiber. This fiber is an important constituent of a healthy diet and has been found to positively contribute in eliminating the risk of many diseases.
• Beetroots contain a lot of inorganic nitrates including nitrites, nitrates and nitric oxide. These inorganic nitrates are known to exhibit a lot of positive effects on the body. The dietary nitrates present in beetroots get converted into nitric oxide, a powerful biological messenger. This messenger instructs the artery muscle cells to relax. Consequently, it lowers the pressure in the blood.
• A lot of studies have revealed that the consumption of dietary nitrates through beetroots enhances performance during endurance exercises . This is done through the decrease of oxygen usage by increasing the capacity of the mitochondria, the cellular organ that releases energy.
• The consumption of beetroot juice enhances the flow of blood to the brain in older people. Consequently, beetroot helps in fighting the advancement of dementia.
• Beetroots also contain a lot of minerals such as silica. It aids the body in utilizing the consumed calcium thereby enhancing the strength of the bones. Additionally, magnesium, folate and Vitamin C also make the bones strong.
• Beetroot has been known for its medical benefits for a fairly long time. It has been seen that deadly diseases such as liver and colon cancer could be stopped by consuming beetroot juice on a sustained basis. Beetroot actually detoxifies the liver and makes it more immune.
All in all, beetroots are considered to be rather healthy.