Bran is the outermost and edible part of any grain that is used for human consumption. Bran is the outer covering that exists in crop grains such as rice, corn, wheat and barley. Bran is often confused with, but must not be so, with chaff, which is an additional layer of any crop grain that is taken off during manual and non-chemical refining processes of the grain being packed. Bran is renowned for being one of the most nutritional and healthiest part of the whole grain. Bran, until, very recently was not known at all for its nutritional value and was generally polished off along with residual chaff.
Nutritional value of Bran
• The chemical processing of grain led to a depleted Bran source in the crop grain.
• Bran is also full of phytic acids, very high on proteins and vitamins. It is also a rich source of starch.
• Bran is a very good source of additional dietary minerals that are supposed to be very good for the body’s immune system.
• Recent studies have also shown that the retention of Bran on the grain allows it to store for longer periods of time without it spoiling.
• Bran contains substances that precludes the grain from turning rancid which also allows the grain to store under a substantial number of weather conditions.
• Bran is also known for its fibre content, which is very healthy for the body in general. It is particularly useful to lose weight.
• It provides the adequate amount of nutrition and doesn’t have the slightest amount of fat.
• Bran is also used in the production of medicines. When it comes to medicines, Bran is typically used according to the natural traits it contains and for which it is healthy for.
• Medicines made out of bran are generally those that supplement the digestive tract in case of problems.
• Bran extracts are also used for making medicines to combat stomach and colon cancer.
Bran has been commonly used as healthy breakfast cereal recently, however, it has been used traditionally in countries like Japan, in South-east Asia. Rice bran has been typically used as dietary supplements and has generally been prepared into a soup. Bran is also used in the processing and formation of Bran oil which is a very healthy and natural substitute for people who suffer from heart diseases. Bran has also been used to brew beer, however, it is not very commonly consumed.