Chondroitin sulphate is a muco-polysaccharide and a major component of the cartilage that helps cushion our joints. It provides structure, holds water and nutrients, and promotes elasticity in the cartilage. It also plays a role in inhibiting enzymes that destroy the tissue of the cartilage apart from promoting the formation of new joint cartilage. These properties have made it a popular dietary supplement for people who want to nourish their joint tissues. Animal cartilage is a significant source of chondroitin sulphate. The major commercial sources are bovine, porcine, shark and chicken cartilage.
Benefits of Chondroitin Sulphate
• Osteoarthritis medication – Chondroitin sulphate is a promising treatment for osteoarthritis . It is used to treat osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, joints, lower back, and facial joints. It is a slow-acting medication that might lead to reduced doses of other drugs.
• Athletes and bodybuilders – For muscle building athletes, the benefits of chondroitin sulfate are outstanding. First-time users have reported pronounced improvement in muscle density, muscle growth rate, and joint strength and function. It also improves the appearance of the skin (including a reduction in wrinkles and fine lines), reduction in the duration and incidence of injuries, faster recovery, improved body motion, and a reduction in pain and inflammation.
• Frequent urination – Research has suggested that chondroitin benefits people with an overactive bladder. Sodium chondroitin sulfate is as effective as conventional drugs for an overactive bladder.
• Bone diseases – Chondroitin sulfate has also shown to benefit people with Kaschin-Beck disease, which affects the bone and causes stiffness and joint pain.
• Eye disorders – Chondroitin is found in some of the products used to treat eye disorders, such as cornea inflammation and dry eyes. It is also known to reduce the pressure in the eye and improve the eye health after a cataract is removed.
• Urinary tract infection – Research has suggested that a combination of chondroitin and hyaluronic acid may help in preventing urinary tract infections in women who have recurring infections.
• Interstitial cystitis – Intravesical chondroitin benefits people suffering from interstitial cystitis, which is an inflammation of the bladder wall.
Chondroitin sulphate is available as capsules, powder and tablets. The key to getting good results is to use high quality, research grade supplements at the proper daily dosage and for a fixed duration of time. It can be included as a supplement during periods of athletic competition and intensive training when recovering from an injury, or if you feel pains and aches in your joints from the wear and tear of life.