Creatine Monohydrate is a dietary supplement that is used to gain muscle mass and strength. Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid. It is formed naturally in vertebrates. It supplies energy to all the cells in the body, primarily muscles. Human blood contains approximately 1% of creatine . The kidney and liver contain approximately 0.01% of creatine. Creatine is not an essential nutrient since it is produced naturally in the human body, from the amino acids arginine and glycine. Creatine monohydrate is mainly used by bodybuilders, athletes, sprinters, wrestlers, and other people who wish to gain weight and muscle mass .
Benefits of Creatine Monohydrate
• High-intensity workout - Creatine monohydrate aids in enhancing the body's capacity to perform a high-intensity workout. It supplies the type 11b muscle fibers with increased, and immediate energy . This helps to keep fatigue at bay. Without creatine, energy production during high-intensity bouts of exercise would not be possible.
• Enhanced recovery - Creatine monohydrate has post-exercise muscle regeneration properties. It helps to reduce inflammation and damages to the muscle cells after an exhaustive workout. Creatine helps to promote complete recovery from intense exercises .
• Improved anaerobic capacity - Taking creatine monohydrate improves anaerobic capacity. A study conducted by Ziegenfuss and fellow researchers successfully demonstrated that creatine loading over just 3 days greatly improved the cycle sprint performance in athletes.
• Enhanced muscle volume - Creatine has a property that causes the muscle cells to inflate. It helps to provide a heavily muscled appearance . Also, it serves as a stimulus for protein synthesis.
• Enhanced brain function - A study conducted by researchers Schulze and Wyss showed that creatine is an important neuroprotectant. This study is published in Neuroscience . Creatine has the ability to enhance the brain's protection against ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species).
• Bone healing - Creatine can be effectively used as an adjuvant therapy for bone fracture healing. It can also be used for treating osteoporosis. Creatine enhances cellular energy production.
• Improved glucose tolerance - Creatine improves glucose tolerance, thus, can assist with treating diabetes. Creatine monohydrate can increase glucose transporter and muscle glycogen content. It can improve the tolerance of glucose in a previously immobilized limb.
• Reduce sarcopenia - Sarcopenia is age-related muscle loss. As you grow old, the production of muscle building hormones like testosterone, growth hormone, and the insulin-like growth factors, declines. This will result in the loss of muscle mass. Combined with a strength training workout, creatine can help to combat Sarcopenia.
Creatine monohydrate is one of the most cost-effective dietary and bodybuilding supplements available in the market today.