Farro constitutes a cereal food that consists of the grains from some species of wheat. It is generally sold prepared and dried by processing in water till it becomes soft albeit crunchy. The food can be consumed plain, although it might be added as a constituent for dishes such as soups and salads as well.
Farro is also referred to as emmer across some parts of the globe. It is considered to be an ancient wheat consumed throughout the centuries. You would generally spot farro in many of the Ethiopian, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern restaurants; where it has had a varied history.
How does farro help you?
• Farro contains carbohydrates, fibers, protein and fat.
• Farro is also rich in niacin, iron, magnesium, zinc and thiamin.
• Farro has a rather high quantity of fiber. Consequently, the cereal is good for the cardiovascular health and easy on the digestive system. Farro has also been found to play an important role in stopping spikes or dips in sugar and insulin. The grain contains more cholesterol-decreasing fiber than either rice or bread. Additionally, subject to the high fiber content, farro can keep you satisfied and full for a longer span of time thereby reducing appetite and decreasing weight.
• Farro constitutes a great cleansing material for the body. It prevents constipation, clears the arteries and maintains a good environment in the guts. The complex carbohydrates present in farro slowly crumbles thereby maintaining the energy level in your body.
• In addition to dietary fiber, farro also contains oligosaccharides , resistant starch and important antioxidants such as phenolic compounds that play important role in preventing many complex diseases. Whole grains provide the necessary protection against chronic problems such as cardiovascular enigmas and diabetes. Farro also has an ingrained compound known as cyanogenic glucosides. This compound has been found to exert positive influences on the immunity. It also lowers cholesterol and blood pressure in addition to reducing inflammation.
• It might surprise people but farro is a good source of protein as well. It provides protein as much as any legume or beans. Farro constitutes a good source of complete protein for vegans.
• Farro contains a lot of zinc, iron and magnesium . Thus, it could play a significant role in protecting the body from anemia. Also, magnesium is important for the normal functioning of the brain.