Goji berry, more popularly known as wolfberry or goji, is a fruit belonging to Lycium chinense and Lycium barbarum, a couple of related boxthorn species belonging to Solanaceae, a Nightshade family. The other fruits belonging to this family include tomato, potato, belladonna, eggplant, tobacco and chili pepper. The goji berry species is found in Asia. The species of wolfberry are woody deciduous plants that are perennial. The plants generally grow in the range between 1 and 3 m. The Lycium chinense species in cultivated in the southern part of China and is a little on the shorter side while Lycium barbarum grows in the northern region and is a bit longer.
How do goji berries help you?
• Goji berries contain a good dosage of fiber and Vitamin C. Low in its calorific count, goji berries constitute a good source of Vitamin A and iron. Approximately 4 ounces of the fruit delivers 10 percent dietary protein, a rather unusual count for any fruit. The carbohydrates present in the berries increases the sugar in your blood slowly such that people don’t have to withstand a crash in sugar later.
• Research studies have suggested that goji berries contain a lot of antioxidants, especially zeaxanthin. This compound imparts the berries with their very rich and bright color. The antioxidants play a great role in protecting the cells against breakage as and when they are exposed to radiation and smoke.
• Goji berries are rather powerful in terms of their nutritional value. While these fruits by themselves can’t reduce weight, it does form an integral part of any weight loss program. The high dosage of fiber found in the berries prevents people from overeating and thus can be a good way to limit the intake of food.
• Studies have shown that goji berries could have a role in keeping the levels of blood pressure and blood sugar under control. Consuming goji berries might help in reducing high blood pressure and high sugar content in the blood.
• Although more studies might be required to prove it but some scientists claim that goji berries can significantly decrease pain in people suffering from arthritis. The powerful antioxidants present in goji berries could heal the joint discomfort and inflammation caused by arthritis.