Methionine is one of the various forms of nutritional components that are very useful for the body. However, it is one of the only form of nutritional elements that cannot be directly processed and synthesized by the human body . This means that the body requires methionine for its existence, but needs to be supplemented in a dietary format and not a direct pure concentrate. Methionine is found in a larger variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. For instance, it is found in high quantities in eggs, fish and chicken. However, it is also found in high amounts in Brazil nuts, some cereal and plant seeds. It also exists in legumes, but in very low amounts.
The benefits of methionine
• Methionine is very useful for the proper body functioning and ageing. For instance, a lack of methionine, is what most scientists state as one of the major reasons for senility and greying of hair. It could also result to the loss of hair .
• Experts state that a healthy adult, in order to retain his health must consume on average of 19mg of methionine per kilo body weight per day. This is surprisingly difficult to consume through regular and whole foods every day, which is why Methionine supplements are commonly available and also suggested by medical experts, in case there is some sort of deficiency .
Types of foods and medical uses of methionine
• Foods such as sesame seeds contain over 500mg per 100g of L-Methionine, while raw salmon, beef and chicken breast contain a little over 600mg per 100g of L-Methionine .
• L-Methionine is typically a food nutritional component that is primarily useful for the synthesis of various nutritional substances .
• It is also a form of amino acids that is used by the body for a better rate of digestion and absorption of proteins and minerals in the body.
• It is also very useful for the immune system. The lack or deficiency of methionine or any other relevant substance thereof could cause immune system problems, including the destruction of cells.
Methionine is also very useful in the case of urinary tract infections. It is one of the most common substances that is used in medication that helps to relieve the bladder and also helps the treatment of the urinary tract. Studies also show that the use of L-Methionine in neurological medication is very useful. It is used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and other neuro motor syndromes. In the same context, it is a powerful anti-depressant.