L-ornithine is an amino acid that is vital for the removal of the bodily waste, and recent research shows that it also helps boost your energy level and provide other significant benefits to your body. When compounds containing nitrogen are broken down by your cells, toxic Ammonia is a by-product. The cells in the liver convert the ammonia to urea in the urea cycle. Ornithine plays a central role in this process and if, for some reason, ornithine cannot participate in this cycle, it can lead to serious disorders, including ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency. When ammonia accumulates in the blood, it can cause lethargy and seizures among other symptoms.
How does L-Ornithine help you?
• The kidneys convert ornithine to arginine (a precursor of nitric oxide), which helps to dilate the blood vessels when extra blood is needed in the tissues.
• Arginine also helps the cells of your muscles produce creatine , a compound essential for making them contract properly.
• Consuming extra ornithine can help promote the endurance and strength of your body. A study published recently showed that people who consumed extra ornithine experienced less exercise-induced stress and fatigue .
• Ornithine promotes the efficient use of energy by your cells and is a great supplement to combat lethargy.
• A study published in a journal for surgical research showed that giving ornithine to lab animals enhanced the wound healing process. This is because of the quicker production of collagen, a compound that plays a key role in forming new connective tissue.
• Another study published in a neuroscience journal showed that the amino acid can cross the blood-brain barrier and combat anxiety-related behavior in animals.
• It is also frequently marketed to weightlifters and bodybuilders on the claim that it will increase the secretion of the Human Growth Hormone.
• It also promotes a healthy cardiovascular system. The elasticity of large arteries is significantly more in patients who are treated with L-ornithine compared to the control group.
• The thymus gland tends to shrink with time in animals. L-ornithine supplements can cause the thymus gland to re-grow, giving a boost to the immune system. The T-cells in your body are formed and given identity in the thymus gland. They help destroy cancer cells and virus affected cells upon release.
The inclusion of L-ornithine supplements improve the regeneration ability of the body and cause a noticeable increase in vitality. It is found in fish, meat, nuts, dairy products, soybeans, wheat and rice for instance. It is also available in the form of powders, tablets and capsules.