Soy protein is basically a form of protein supplement that has been extracted and de-fatted from the soy bean itself. Soy bean is known to be very high on protein and is the only type and form of group of vegetarian product that results in such a high level of protein consumption . The soy bean protein is processed and extracted from the soy bean, as soy bean is known to consist of 60-70 percent protein parts. In the processing of soy protein, the soy bean undergoes processes which allow for the removal of any form of fat particles, making it a very pure form of protein.
Various uses of soy
• Soy bean has been processed into soy protein ever since 1959, but has recently found growing importance under the health industry, wherein, it is almost unanimously synonymous with health benefits.
• Commercially, the soy bean is broken down into three specific products, soy flour, soy concentrates and soy isolates.
• The soy flour has been commonly used for consumption of staple food diets while the soy isolates and soy concentrates have been converted into effective protein supplements .
• Recent studies have also discovered small amounts of albumen protein, the same kind of protein that is available in egg whites .
• Soy bean protein has also been actively used for any form or sort of metabolic activity. There has been a variety of soy protein products that are now commonly available in the market.
• Soy cereal and protein bars are also high forms of protein that are available to people for consumption.
• Soy bean was first discovered as a potential industrial product in the mid 1930’s, when researchers and scientists discovered its use in the manufacture of cloth and heavy-duty fire-fighting equipment.
• Soy extracts were used as aero-foams, since they were mixed with water and created in bulk. The foam formation came in very handy for the fire department.
Types of soy protein
Soy protein that stems from soy bean is known as the complete protein . It is used largely for its health and fitness benefits. It is renowned for providing people with high physical activity as a useful supplement. As it falls under the aromatic amino acid category, it essentially allows the body to consume, absorb and better utilize the protein . Soy isolates are slated to consist of at least 90 percent protein, which is one of the purest forms, while Soy concentrates and soy flour consist of 70 percent of protein and 50 percent of protein respectively.
Soy protein is one of the most effective forms of protein available in the market today. The major benefit of soy protein is the fact that it requires no additional supplement and is also one of the only few protein ingestion mechanisms that have no side-effects.